Aguada Fort – was built by the Portuguese in 1609-1612, to control the entry into the river Mandovi and to protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks. A spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that called there. The fort presently houses the Central Aguada Jail.
Cabo Fort (Raj Bhavan) – 9 km from Panaji, it lies on the peninsula land jutting out in the Arabian Sea, at Dona Paula. Initially during the Portuguese era, a Franciscan Convent, was attached to the fort. This later became Cabo Raj Bhavan and is now the Governor’s Palace.
Chapora Fort – Located 10 km out of Mapusa, it has a splendid view of nearby Anjuna and Vagator beaches. The fort once in the hands of Muslim rulers before the Portuguese wrested it, has some interesting ruins.
Terekhol (Tiracol) Fort – 42 km.from Panaji, it stands at the nothern most tip of Goa’s shoreline, on the hillock overlooking the Arabian Sea, at the mouth of the river Terekhol. In its courtyard is the century old church of St. Anthony. It is now a tourist resort.