Home / Sports / Goan FC get past Sporting Clube

Goan FC get past Sporting Clube

Mapusa: Goan Football Club put up a spirited performance to recover from a goal down and score a 3-1 win over Sporting Clube de Goa in the Goa Professional League match, at Duler Stadium, here on Sunday.

With Sunday’s win, Goan FC moved to 10 points while Sporting remain on 6 points after their fourth league match.

The goalscorers were Ganesh Thakur for Sporting while Princeton Rebello, Saviour Gama and Kingslee Fernandes scored for the Young Gaurs.

Sporting started the match brightly and took the lead in the 17th minute though Ganesh Thakur’s neat placement after being set up by teammate Stendly Fernandes.

However, Goan FC restored parity in the 27th minute when a 30-yard free-kick by Princeton Rebello took a deflection off Cajetan Fernandes’ head and entered the nets leaving the keeper stranded to his spot to make it 1-1.

The Young Gaurs looked threatening and nearly took the lead just minutes after the breather, Sarineo Fernandes’ perfect cross found Lalawmpuia but before he could shot the ball it was snatched in the nick of time by an alert Alton Vaz for a corner.

Crossing ends, Sporting keeper Melroy Fernandes brought a smart stop in the 54th minute to prevent Lalawmpuia’s fierce left footed shot in finding the net.

However, overlapping defender Saviour Gama made it 2-1 for Goan FC two minutes later by tapping the ball into the goal after some good work down the right flank by Liston Colaco.

Sporting were unlucky to be back on terms in the 59th minute when Cajetan Fernandes controlled a pass from Marcus Mascarenhas inside the danger zone to let go of a cracking left footed shot that rebounded off the crossbar with the keeper unmoved.

In the very next minute, Goan FC made it 3-1 when Lalawmpuia cut out a pass from the Sporting defence and fired a first time shot which was blocked by the Sporting defender only to find Liston who unselfishly crossed the ball to a better positioned Kingslee Fernandes to slot the ball into the net.

The goal was contested by the Sporting players and the coach Mateus Costa for an offside which was turned down by the referee. After a couple of minutes of heated exchange of words between Sporting coach Mateus and the referee Sunil Nanodkar, the coach was sent to the stands by the referee who vented his frustration on the assistant referee with abusive language.

After a long break the match finally got underway and Goan FC had to thank their keeper Shubham Dhas for keeping them in the match who brought a double save first by stopping George D’Souza’s hot-blooded shot and from the rebound denying Alton Vaz.

Goan FC’s Lalawmpuia had a good match but was unlucky to find his name on the score sheet when his two well struck attempts were blocked by the Sporting defender Clive Miranda in the 77th minute and the second by keeper Melroy in the added time. [H]

About admin

Check Also

Augustias SC win shoot-out

Sanquelim: Augustias Sports Club, Pomburpa downed CDJ Ribander 4-1 via the tie-breaker to move into …