Curchorem: Property worth around Rs 1 crore was destroyed after a Goa Sahakar Bhandar (supermarket) was gutted in a fire at Curchorem near the post office on Thursday early morning.
According to investigating officer Ashsish Dessai, they received a call from unknown person informing about the incident and since it is close to the police station they immediately informed the fire station after seeing the smoke coming out from the store.
Fire brigade personnel immediately reached at the site and managed to extinguish the fire and avoided further destruction.
According to Managing Director Kashinath Naik, the cause of the fire is short circuit in which they lost the goods including house-hold items and cosmetics worth around Rs 1 crore.
But Curchorem Assistant Engineer of Electricity Department Swami ruled out the electric short circuit as the electric wiring in the store was new. [H]