Vasco: A large heap of seized cigarette lighters dumped near the condemned and under demolition Goa Airport terminal building caught fire. The fire created a scene of panic near the airport as it was close to the runway.
The fire started between 10 and 10.25 pm last night after which the fire station was called in to put out the fire. These lighters were seized from passengers and were stored in the old terminal building and later dumped outside in close proximity to the runway where they caught fire last night.
An eyewitness said that there were cigarette lighters lying before they came to the spot.
A firefighter said, “The navy fire extinguishing vehicle first came to the spot and tried to douse the fire. The persons at the site said that an extension board had caught fire which triggered the fire in the heap of lighters.”
It took one full hour to put out the fire. The Airport Authority of India Dabolim office has vowed to inquire into the matter.
The negligent manner of handling a site under demolition and not bothering about inflammable materials like cigarette lighters has exposed the lethargy of the airport custodians. [H]