Tuesday , April 16 2019
Home / Goa News Headlines / Restaurant and Beach Club at Vagator gutted in fire

Restaurant and Beach Club at Vagator gutted in fire

Vagator: Antares Restaurant and Beach Club at small Vagator, Ozran was totally gutted in a major fire on Wednesday evening. However, they were no injuries reported in this incident.

The Australian themed beachside restaurant was a wooden structure spread across an area of 1,400 sq mts that was inaugurated in late 2015. Sources claim that the estimated loss should be over Rs 50 lakh.
Mapusa Fire Station in-charge Bosco Ferrao said that he received a call at 4.43 pm informing about the fire after which they rushed to the site and started their operation. Besides two fire tenders from Mapusa, one each from Pilerne and Panjim was also pressed into service to put out the fire.

One electrical transformer was burnt slightly in the incident, while the other three were saved by the fire personnel. Two LPG cylinders were removed by the fire personnel. The items that were gutted in the incident included fans, AC’s, bar counter, wooden chairs, restaurant area, kitchen items.

An eye witness informed that the cause of fire was due to fire set to some garbage in an adjacent property and due to strong wind at the beachside the fire spread through the grass.

“Antares comprised of 14 luxury rooms besides a restaurant. The magnitude of the fire was so big that the services of 25 firefighters were used to extinguish the fire. We managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the two other restaurants close by,” Bosco Ferrao said.

The Director of Fire and Emergency Service, Ashok Menon was also coordinating the entire firefighting operation which took over four hours.

The Restaurant and Beach Club is operated by a contestant of Master Chef Australia’s Sarah Todd in partnership with a restaurateur from Delhi, Ashish Kapur.[H]

About admin

Check Also

16 shops gutted in Cavelossim fire

Margao: In a major fire that broke out at Cavelossim on Sunday afternoon around 16 …